SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Aram Avetisyan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aram Avetisyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:53:22 +0200
Hello,

I have installed SL6.1 on my new laptop (an HP Pavilion dv6t).
Everything works well, except that the machine runs hotter with Linux
than it does with the default Windows install (that is, the fan runs
more often and the outer shell is warmer to the touch). The computer
comes with two graphics cards and I think the problem is that under
Linux, both of them are active. lspci shows:

# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Whistler XT [AMD
Radeon HD 6700M Series]

There is no option in the BIOS to disable one of the GPUs. The only
options are "Dynamic" (where the choice of GPU for an application is
made automatically) and "Fixed" (where I manually switch between the two
GPUs for all applications). Both of these work as advertised under
Windows, but I cannot install the ATI Catalyst application/driver that
does the switching in Linux (I tried their Linux version, but it doesn't
work).

I am guessing there is no way to enable the GPU switching in Linux, but
does anyone know of a way to at least turn off the ATI Radeon GPU?

Thank you.

-- Aram