SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:41:55 -0700
I will be setting up a server for Cadence chip design software, and
that company specifies Enterprise Linux 5 from "The Upstream Vendor"
for the OS, accept no substitutes.  The cost of [T.U.V.] EL5, with
support, is miniscule compared to the CAD tool licenses, so I have
no problem with running that.

The other half dozen existing machines are SL5 (and one CentOS5),
and will not be running Cadence, so they will stay with SL5.  I
am assuming that these machines will coexist peacefully;  I will
keep them separate, and not ask TUV tech support any SL5 questions.

With my SLx experience, I probably won't need any tech support
at all.  I assume Cadence specifies an EL5 support contract so
that Cadence isn't saddled with OS vendor questions from newbies.

So, the question is, does anyone know of any technical or legal
or business reasons why mixing SL5 and "TUVEL5" is difficult?
Or is this going to be very easy, like I expect?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993