SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Ernst Fueloep <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ernst Fueloep <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 03:54:40 -0500
Hi,

I have an IBM xSeries 236 server running fine with SL 53 i386. This machi
ne
has four ServeRaid Controllers:

One ServerRaid-7k on planar, three ServeRaid-4H in PCI slots.

All four controllers work fine. SL is installed on the 7k controller. On
the
other three I have defined four volume groups and for each controller one

logical volume.

Now, I wanted to install SL 53 x86_64. But there seems to be a big proble
with the ips driver.
The machine boots fine from the SL 53 x86_64 DVD but hangs for several
minutes by the message "ips driver loading".
At first I thought it hung, but then it finally showed me the prompt to
select the keyboard.
But then I get error messages that on three disks the partition table is
corrupted. I get a prompt to format the drive. I selected No.

I stopped the installation and tried to boot the SL53 x86_64 live DVD. Ag
ain
it takes a very long time to load the ips driver.
It only finds the volume groups on the ServeRaid-7k controller. I could n
ot
mount anything except the /boot partition on the 7k controller.
I looked at the disks with fdisk and found three bogus disks with corrupt
ed
partition tables which are really not there.
I guess the broken ips driver has created them.

Anyway. what can I do to solve this problem?
To me it looks like the ips driver from x86_64 platform seems to work wit
the 7k controller but not with the 4h controllers.
I find this very strange. Is the code base for the ips driver not the sam
for both platforms?

At the moment I have booted the SL53 i386 installation and everything is
back to normal and works fine.

Regards,
Ernst