SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:49:22 -0500
I don't know when it was added, but the configuration files
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 eth1 etc. have a variable
"HWADDR".  There is some logic in the ifup script that looks to me (just
a quick reading) to be meant to insure that if the interface comes up
with the right name.

I've have SL303 on a couple machines with two NICs with the HWADDR
defined, and haven't had any problems.  I guess that the discovery order
could be weird at install time and then anaconda would create the
ifcfg-ethX files with bad HWADDR values, but other than that, I think
the scripts have this problem eliminated...

Tom Rockwell
Michigan State U.