SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:52:03 +0100
On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 21:24 +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I've just installed SL6.3 with default gnome desktop on laptop (using
> default partitioning and encryption options, with encrypted LVM VG) and
> it displays whole disk LVM PV ("500 GB Hard Disk: 500 GB LVM2 Physical
> Volume") in "Places" menu and also when opening "Computer".
>
> Obviously this is useless, also annoying because it asks for password
> ("Authentication is required to mount this device") when clicking it. I
> don't even want to try entering password because I doubt it's a good
> idea to "mount" main system LVM PV!
>
> I need to give this notebook to another person who isn't linux expert,
> so I need a mean to disable this in order not to confuse him. Quick
> googling didn't help.. Does anyone know a way to completely rid of
> mention of this LVM PV?

This *might* help a bit - it won't prevent the icon from being
displayed but it won't ask for the password, instead putting up a "Not
authorised" message.

Create a file called what you like with the extension .pkla and stick it
in one of the directories in /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority - I used
50-local.d. The file should have the following contents:

[Disable Mount]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=no

It worked for me. If you find a way of disabling the icon as well
I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

--
Mark Whidby
Infrastructure Coordinator (Unix)