SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:01:44 -0400
Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop parked in a Dell D-Dock PD01X docking
station. My mouse and keyboard, both PS/2, are connected to the docking
station, as is my monitor.

I'm attempting to install SL6 to dual-boot with WinXP SP3. Everything goes
along just fine until the initial reboot. When the "just a few more things
to configure" screen appears after reboot, the laptop fails to respond to
the mouse and keyboard. I have to turn the power off to reboot.

If I un-dock the laptop, I can install SL6. But once I dock the laptop, it
ignores the mouse and keyboard on boot.  The docking station works just
fine with WinXP and everything worked OK with SL5x.

I received this reply on ScientificLinuxForum.org:

> I am not sure if these packages are needed for docking but do provide
> some bios functions for Dell and pulls in standard inventory modules
> applicable to most Dell systems: firmware-addon-dell and
> smbios-utils-python.   Might be worth a try if you don't have them
> installed.

I've take a brief look at the Dell Linux repository and I'm not sure their
packages are applicable to 32-bit SL6.

Any suggestion on how to proceed would be appreciated.

--
Jon Ruth
Kent, Ohio, U.S.A.