SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:05:33 -0500
Hi Fabian,
You've brought up a good discussion.  I'm sorry it's taken me so long to
reply.

The very first consideration when discussing this is the fact that our
sponsers (at least Fermilab, and I'm sure for CERN also) are very
sensitive if anything bad get's published on any of their sites, or any
site related to them.
Because of this, we simply cannot have a wide open site where anyone can
post anything.  (I am speaking of www.scientificlinux.org)

But that does not mean that nobody can post anything.  We setup the site
to use plone specifically so that we can have users from around the
world add or modify pages.
There is currently three or four ways for people to get a web page, or
group of pages, up on www.scientificlinux.org.

1-They can send me the web page, or a pointer to a web page, and ask me
to put it up.  After I put it up, they can either have me take care of
the page, or if they wish, I can make them co-owner of the page and they
can update it if it get's outdated.

2-I can make them a web developer.  This would allow them to work on the
whole site.  The one hitch is that when a web page is submitted, I have
to 'publish' it, to make it visible.

3-(not implemented, but can be discussed) We can have a directory with
somewhat looser standards, and maybe even have it be a wiki (Plone does
have a wiki plugin) that members can be in charge of and maintain.

Troy

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi Morten,
>
>  nice work!
>
>  Is there any kind of wiki for SL, where everybody can put
>  such informations/tips?
>  Especially the installing/configuration of scientific
>  related software would be interesting; even if SL doesn't
>  support scientific software, but I assume that one or two
>  people of the SL-users install special applications not
>  included in the SL-repository!?
>
> Greetings!
> Fabian
>

> * Morten wrote 13 Sep 2005:
>

>>See below link for getting Scientific Linux (4.0) running on coLinux  (0.6.2)
>>
>>[ http://msiebuhr.web.cern.ch/msiebuhr/linux/ ]
>>
>>--
>>Siebuhr

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468