SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2017

From:
Bonnie King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:30:07 -0500
On 08/25/2017 01:25 PM, Sean wrote:

> If the purpose of this distribution is to provide stable platforms for
> scientific research how do you marry that with releasing back-ported
> beta versions of the future release as a security patch?  Seriously,
> what is going on with dropping RHEL 7.4 beta kernel, gnome-3.22, etc.
> packages into SL7.3 as security updates?

The packages released on Monday are security updates. They are not beta.
They are packages associated with 7.4 that fix security problems.

Scientific Linux always pushes security updates to older "point
releases" for a major version's life cycle:

http://scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/faq-updates/#older-releases

There are a lot of security updates included in a new release. So rather
than publish them immediately, we push them (and dependencies if needed)
to testing and allow a 2-week testing period before publishing. This
testing window is announced on the scientific-linux-devel mailing list.

> All of our desktops with NVIDIA cards are now about as good as boat
> anchors under the 3.10.0-693 kernel.  Sudo segfaults when using it with
> pam_ssh_agent_auth, luckily pam_pkcs11.so works so at least I can use my
> CAC to escalate privilege if I am at the console.  I'm sure the list
> could go on, but these are of my immediate concern.
>
> Suggestions?

Detailed bug reports are always appreciated.

> If this is the SOP for this Distro, which until this week didn't seem to
> be the case, I'm left to recommend that we migrate to something more
> stable like CentOS.  Is anyone else feeling the pain?

Nothing has changed. This is standard operating procedure for Scientific
Linux.

--
Bonnie King