SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:04:46 -0600
I think we are on to something!

On 12/03/2013 09:41 PM, ~Stack~ wrote:
> On 12/03/2013 09:16 PM, ~Stack~ wrote:

>>> It's running significantly later. Even dumb switches, and supported
>>> network drivers, can tike time to recognize  the available MAC
>>> address. This is especially the case with DHCP, which requires
>>> communications all the way upstream to whatever DHCP server is in
>>> place.
>>
>> The weird part for me is that this is after the box is booted and I have
>> logged in. When I manually run 'service network restart' it fails in the
>> same way _every_ time. Then as soon as I run 'ifup eth0' it works! I
>> think I am going to experiment with this a bit.
>
> Also, I have been tinkering with this a bit. In /etc/init.d/functions on
> line ~536 (I have been editing a bit but I think that is right) there is
> a line like this in the action function:
> "$@" && success $"$STRING" || failure $"$STRING"
>
> When I dumped out the variables it is just running './ifup eth0' but it
> is on this line that everything seems to choke. What I find odd though is:
> * If I run it on the command line it works. Running it as a service, it
> fails. Thus I am wondering if it is an environmental variable setting?
> That is my next investigation.
>
> * If I run 'ifup eth0', get a IP, I can run 'service network restart'
> and get an IP! If I run 'ifdown eth0' or reboot then the service kicks
> back the error about a missing cable (which is obviously wrong).
>
> Very very odd.

I checked out the environment variables, that is not it. I tried a few
other things and nothing. I don't understand why running '/sbin/ifup
eth0' but in the service command it doesn't work.

So I just started adding '/sbin/ifup eth0' statements into the start
command till it worked. I tweaked it and to reliably get a DHCP IP (even
on reboot!) just add *two* copies of the ifup command in the start
section. I put mine at the end just before the ";;" of the "start)" case
section. One copy alone will not do it. Thus the command is essentially
called three times in a row.

So there *is* a timing issue going on and just hammering it will
eventually get it to work. Now to find the best place to put the timing
delay...

Thanks!