SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:09:29 -0500
On 04/19/2011 12:20 AM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a consultant who only works in two counties.
> I am currently working my way out of two jobs,
> which is normal. Also means I have to do some
> cold calling, also normal. And to facilitate
> that, I have made up a database of local businesses.
> I work with both Linux and Windows. (The occasional
> Apple too, but you did not hear me admit to that.)
>
> I really do not feel like the *aggravation* of having
> to maintain any more Windows installations: low quality
> software that almost works and has to be fussed with
> 20 times more than a Linux installation. And customer
> who are never really very happy with the way things
> turn out, or the expense.
>
> This may seems like a weird question, when I am sifting
> through my lists of businesses, does anyone have an tips
> as to what kinds of businesses prefer Linux? I would
> like to directly target those kinds of businesses
> before settling from more Windows work.
>
> Sort of like graphics houses prefer Apple. What kinds of
> business prefer Linux?
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Here in Chicago, Trading and Financial firms.
The reason is that for them, "time is money" is literal.  If they get
the trade done before someone else, they get the money.  And it didn't
take them long to realize that a finely tuned linux machine is the
fastest thing out there.
Just know that most of them out there are brutal to their admins.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group