SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:31:39 -0600
Steve,
Here is a posting to the CentOS mailling list detailling how one of
their users did it.  This is for lm-sensors 2.10.1, so it is fairly
recent.  They even have a spec file at the end.

If that works for you, let us know and we'll put it into the contrib area.

Troy

Steven Timm wrote:
> It appears that the analogous kernel modules for SL4
> never got made in the ATRPMS repository.
> Does any scientific-linux based site out there actually
> have lm_sensors 2.9.x or 2.10.x working in combination
> with an SL4-based Enterprise kernel as distributed by our dear Upstream
> Vendor? If so, how? lm_sensors list is saying it can't be done.
>
> Steve Timm
>

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Maarten Ballintijn wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I am using :
>>
>> i2c-kmdl-2.4.21-37.ELsmp-2.9.2-3.el3.at.x86_64
>> lm_sensors-2.9.2-42.el3.at.x86_64
>> lm_sensors-kmdl-2.4.21-37.ELsmp-2.9.2-42.el3.at.x86_64
>>
>> from the ATrpms repository on our Opterons.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Maarten.
>>
>> Steven Timm wrote:
>>> The 2.6.9 series of kernels, as distributed by our dear
>>> Upstream Vendor and recompiled by us, are distributed with
>>> lm_sensors 2.8.7, which is a deprecated version.  It works OK
>>> for older hardware but for the newer hardware, any of the
>>> new 64-bit boards, it doesn't have the chip modules needed
>>> to support them, nor the underlying newer i2c routines
>>> on which those chip modules depend.
>>>
>>> Has anyone found an easy workaround for this?  It is a lot
>>> different now that the i2c is integrated into the main
>>> kernel source.  In 2.4 kernels you could just compile all
>>> the modules fresh and tack them on.  Now you have to
>>> patch out some stuff and put in other stuff.  If anyone
>>> has already done this it could save us here at Fermilab a
>>> lot of work.  (P.S. I already put out this query
>>> to the lm_sensors mailing list and got nothing).
>>>
>>> Steve

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468