SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:42:17 -0700
On 11/01/2011 08:42 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Yasha Karant<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> On 10/30/2011 03:02 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>>> I should also note that kernel-ml is not for production use but it's
>>> been quite stable and Alan has been doing a good job of keeping it up
>>> to date. :-)
>>>
>>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
>>>
>>> Akemi

[snip-

From:  https://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_rha_eula.html

3. Limited Warranty. Except as specifically stated in this Section 3, a
separate agreement with Red Hat, or a license for a particular
component, to the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the
Programs and the components are provided and licensed "as is" without
warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, including the implied
warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or fitness for a
particular purpose.

AND further along in Section 3

Neither Red Hat nor its affiliates warrants that the functions contained
in the Programs will meet your requirements or that the operation of the
Programs will be entirely error free, appear or perform precisely as
described in the accompanying documentation, or comply with regulatory
requirements.

End quote.  Although mention is made of a particular vendor (due to this
being a quote from the EULA of that vendor and thus fair use under
copyright requires such attribution), the quote is for illustrative
purposes.

How does the above lack of warranty from a commercial for-profit vendor
differ from the "These packages are provided As-Is with no implied
warranty or support" from el-repo or the similar disclaimer from SL?
This is not a discussion of specific ElRepo packages, but a general
question of interest to all users of packages advertised on the SL list
-- ElRepo in this particular instance.

Yasha Karant