SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:02:41 -0800
I have just attempted to migrate my laptop to SL 6.1 from EL 5.7, but
IA-32 (not X86-64) .  Under 5.7, all of the hardware works, and the
migration was an attempt to (1) keep consistency amongst the
environments/machines I support and (2) to get more recent libraries
than 5.7 provides to enable applications that require these more recent
libraries, applications that are licensed for fee (in some cases) and
that do not provide source.

Under 6.1, the machine boots, but the Intel 5300 802.11 WNIC is not
being recognized.  Initially, during the boot sequence, there was a
complaint about the firmware version.   I manually installed (rpm -Uhv
from a copy on a USB flash drive that I copied to the internal hard
drive of the machine)
iwl5000-firmware-8.83.5.1_1-1.el6_1.1.noarch.rpm
that stopped the firmware complaints (previously, v2, now v5) but the
WNIC still is not recognized (wlan0 not found and thus not being activated).

I manually installed the rpm, not yum install, because I would have
needed to get the network activated for yum, and this would have
required running a UTP 802.3 cable to a 802.3 UTP port -- not physically
convenient.

Is this a kernel driver issue?  Does one need to use a later kernel
(e.g., as provided by elrepo)?  If so, without using yum but using a
manual rpm, which rpm kernel and/or system firmware files do I need to
install to get a bootable system?

Any suggestions?

Yasha Karant