SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 08:21:58 -0700
On 07/03/2013 07:39 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Matthias Schroeder
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On 07/02/2013 07:01 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>
>>> linuxtech repository?
>>
>> I have no experience with it.
>
> The maintainer of the linuxtech repo (tux99) has been actively helping
> in the SL forums (also in the CentOS forums as megatux). He is keen on
> improving his packages and is conscience about conflicts among 3rd
> party repos. I tend to trust this repo than some others.
>
> Akemi

Thank you for expressing some confidence in this particular repository.
  I have downloaded and installed darktable, both X86_64 with OpenCL
addons (as the X86_64 machine has an Nvidia tesla board) and the IA-32
version on my laptop.  If I need genuine Nikon software or Photoshop et
al., I must invoke MS Windows 7 under VirtualBox, a cumbersome solution;
thus, I prefer a native Linux application.  At present, in addition to
gimp (and addons thereto), I used Corel AfterShot Pro (the replacement
for Bibble Pro after Corel bought the product/company -- in the USA, it
has been declared that corporations are people -- so why cannot any of
us in the USA buy another person -- sigh).  The comments on the
limitations of Darktable posted in this thread seem to be true; however,
the final product it produces is useful for some purposes.  Eventually,
someone will have the full functionalities of the various "standard"
proprietary applications that only are available for MS Windows or Mac
OS X implemented in an application for Linux.  It appears that Gimp plus
plugins/addons comes closest to this functionality at the moment.

Yasha Karant