SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:01:57 -0400
This may or may not be related to what I just discovered.  There's not much
out there (google) on this issue yet...

RHEL4 moved to udev, instead of devfs.  udev does /dev entries differently.
Long story short, I had to manually "MAKEDEV sound" to get the proper
/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer nodes created.  At that point ALSA and ARTS both
worked (after running alsamixer and turning everything on and volumes up).

I don't know about the defaulting to the wrong card, I never have had two
sound cards in one system.

HTH,
Dan W.