SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael David Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael David Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:10:09 -0600
Regardless of the fact that the system is probably new, you might try
checking a few hardware issues.

Two that I'd suggest are the memory and memory config. I've had at least
one dual opteron system 'eat' memory (ie ecc memory errors on one of the
cpu memory banks). The replacement memory failed too, turns out it was a
bad cpu that was somehow frying the memory via the memory bus. AMD is
still investigating the failure. I'd guess that it's tied to the
integrated memory controller. The CPU finally failed after 3 months of
operation.

Anyways, try putting all the memory in one cpu's memory bank if it's a
Numa model (separate bank of memory per CPU) to disable the Numa
abilities.

Also, you might try memtest86 and see if one of the memory modules is
definitely bad. I've had more than a few memory modules test good and
finally fail after a month or two of running under a full load.

Just a few thoughts. If updating the software doesn't help, try the
hardware route.

Michael Joy
HEP - University of Mississippi