SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:58:49 -0400
On Thursday, October 06, 2011 09:50:06 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Hmm. Did you try simply excluding NetworkManager? I've found it to be
> a maintenance nightmare with unannounced and unplanned changes,
> interfering with normal DHCP operations, standard server
> configurations, and VPN setups haphazardsly. Ripping it out entirely
> is one of my favorite steps for stabilizing a server or desktop setup.

FWIW, I'm running an upstream EL box as a server (remote desktops as well as web, database, and file).  Since it serves remote desktops, GNOME is installed, and thus NetworkManager.  I haven't had any NM-related breakage; this is upstream EL6.1 fully updated, and running for several months as a server with multiple ethernets and some other tunneled connections.