SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:38:00 -0600
There are instructions on how to build a custom kernel in the
"rhel-sag-en-3" rpm.

See below for answers to your specific questions.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Laurent Aphecetche wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make a custom kernel (to include the pwc driver for a logitech
> webcam), but would like to be sure I'll end up with a working one.

There is a pwc driver in the kernel-unsupported rpm.  I suggest that you
install that first and see if that driver  will work.

> My first guess was to use the file /boot/config-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL during make
> xconfig, but :

Yes.  You have to copy it over as .config in /usr/src/linux-2.4/ .  This
assumes you have the kernel-source rpm installed for 2.4.21-27.0.1.EL.

> a) the kernel compilation fails if I use this file
> b) this file has CONFIG_USB_PWC=m but I cannot locate the pwc.o anywhere on
> my system
> so I conclude that this was not the config file used to produce the kernel
> available in kernel-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL rpm

It is the config file used.

> So my first question is : "is there a way to get the configuration of a
> SL-distributed kernel ?"
>
> And next, after some trials, I was able to compile a custom kernel, but I
> miss an openafs module for that one. How could I make a custom openafs module ?

Best thing to do is to modify the /usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefile and remove
the "custom" part of the name from the EXTRAVERSION entry.  This will
allow for a kernel version that will match your already existing openafs
module.

> Thanks,

-connie