SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:19:30 -0700
On 02/15/2015 08:53 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 16/02/2015 2:29 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:

?  This has always been the case.  Perhaps the improvement is the
reduction of dependencies that may have brought in net-tools by default
before.  But this is a good thing.  If you need/want net-tools (or
anything else for that matter) you install it.

>> The advantage is that no system resources are spent on processes
>> not being actively in use.  Yes, it requires another mindset.  But
>> those who depend on evaluating system security primarily based on
>> the output of 'ps' does a fairly poor job.
>
> So its xinetd? :)

Yes, it replaces that as well.

> I've done a little bit of work with Xen packages using SystemD - and to
> be honest, it isn't *that* bad. If systemd is needed at all is a
> different question - although we're just adding another wrapper layer
> around an initscript that now gets called via systemd.

You're actually removing a bunch of shell scripting layers.

> In the end, it doesn't do anything more functional than the old init
> system did - just now that instead of throwing stuff in /etc/init.d, you
> now have to write another file to then call the init script.
>
> Web interfaces and other junk aside, systemd doesn't seem to do much in
> the way of improvement - in fact, most features of priorities and
> parallel start exist in sysvinit - but were never implemented properly
> by distributions... So instead, we reinvent the wheel again...

It does a whole lot more that the old init system did, which an internet
search and a few minutes of reading would have made abundantly clear.
Just a couple points:

- It monitors the processes that is starts and can restart them if they die.
- It can configure the environment of the processes it starts in a
number of ways: cgroups, namespaces, etc.
- It can log the output in the journal that would have otherwise been lost.

Please people, let's do some research before just putting out our first
impressions as facts.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  [log in to unmask]