SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:22:49 -0600
Michael Hannon wrote:
> Hi, folks.  We've been kickstart installations via PXE boots for some
> time, but we're currently using a Debian host for the tftp/PXE stuff.  I
> want to get rid of the Debian system, so I'm trying to set up a similar
> arrangement on a system running SL 5.0.
>
> I took a look at TUV documentation for this stuff, e.g.:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-netboot-pxe-config.html
>
> and it says that one way to set this up is to use:
>
>     system-config-netboot
>
> Specifically, it says:
>
>     To use the graphical version of the Network Booting Tool, you
>     must be running the X Window System, have root privileges, and
>     have the system-config-netboot RPM package installed.
>
> It also discusses a command-line-based approach, but that approach
> appears to require tools from the same package.
>
> I can't find any "netboot" RPM package:
>
>     # cat /etc/redhat-release
>     Scientific Linux SL release 5.0 (Boron)
>
>     # locate netboot
>     #
>
>     # yum list | grep -i netboot
>     #
>
>     # yum --enablerepo=* list | grep -i netboot
>     #
>
> Can anybody point me to the relevant location for this, and/or provide
> me with a crib-sheet for doing the installation some other way?

Hi,
I believe this is something that might need to get pushed to RedHat, if nothing
else, they need to update their documentation.

The package system-config-netboot is not in SL 5, nor is it in RHEL 5.  There
isn't even a program that has the name "netboot" in it, on either SL5 or RHEL5.
  ("yum provides netboot" searches filenames with anything matching netboot)

So ... it looks like their documentation is wrong.  It might have been
something in Fedora that they took out, I really don't know.
I've never set a pxeboot server up, so beyond that, I can't help you.  I just
wanted to let you know that searching for system-config-netboot isn't going to
get you anywhere.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group