SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:27:10 -0700
I have to install SL 6.1 on a WD hard drive that uses a larger than 512
block.

I plan to burn the bootable 4 Gbyte base SL 6.1 installation DVD from an
ISO image.

1.  On a running 6.1 system that can see the unmounted raw target hard
drive (via eSATA -- but it appears to be a regular SATA drive so far as
the OS is concerned as /dev/sde ) and on which I have a DVD
reader/burner -- can I have anaconda from the DVD install the OS on the
unmounted raw target?

2.  If not, and I have multiple drives that I do not want touched, do I
simply boot the SL 6.1 bootable install DVD and then have anaconda,
etc., ignore all drives but the target one?  If this is the case, how do
I do so?

3.  Must I force anaconda, etc., to use a larger block size on the
target disk that is a Western Digital Advanced Format Hard Drive or will
this happen automatically?

Yasha Karant