SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:19:45 -0800
     It could be that ntfs-3g has been damaged.  That can be checked with
the command

rpm -V ntfs-3g

which should return nothing.  If it does return something, re-install
ntfs-3g.
     Another possibility is that the disk has been corrupted.  To check
that possibility, first verify that you have the smartmontools rpm
installed (do `rpm -q smartmontools`) and then do a short offline test of
sdh, the drive which has the NTFS filesystem:

smartctl -t short /dev/sdh

After the test has been given enough time to complete, do

smartctl -a /dev/sdh

The output should end with the result of the short offline test, and
before that result the output should list recent errors detected.  The
status of the test should be "Completed without error" and there should be
no errors detected.  Even better, but much more time consuming, is

smartctl -t long /dev/sdh

For more information on smartctl, do 'man smartctl'.
     If the disk drive is ok, and the NTFS filesystem contains some
uncorrupted version of a Windows operating system, you might be able to
boot your computer into it.  In your case, when you installed SL6 perhaps
you also retained the ability to boot into Windows, and there are already
the appropriate lines in /etc/grub.conf.  If they aren't already in
grub.conf, adding to its end the following lines may allow you to boot
into whatever operating system is in /dev/sdh1:

title Testing Booting into my NTFS filesystem
         rootnoverify (hd7,0)
         chainloader +1

The "7" in hd7 is there because 7+1=8 and the "h" of /dev/sdh1 is the 8th
letter of the alphabet.  The "0" in hd7,0 is there because 0+1=1, as in
sdh1.  After /etc/grub.conf has the required entries for booting into
/dev/sda1, reboot and select from your grub choices the operating system
corresponding to the NTFS filesystem.  If booting into /dev/sdh1 fails,
either my instructions are wrong, the NTFS filesystem wasn't one into
which one may boot, or the filesystem was corrupted.  If it works, then
the filesystem is probably ok, though if you know enough about the
operating system into which you've booted, you could try one of its disk
checking or repair programs.

Steven Yellin