SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 10:25:26 -0500
Michael,

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Michael Mansour wrote:

> Hi Troy,
>
> > Michael Mansour wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just as a suggestion for future installation builds of SL, in Fedora when
> > > installing the OS from CD's, they put in information like the following:
> > >
> > > ***
> > > The website for Fedora, together with its latest version and any of its
> > > updates, can be found on:
> > >
> > > http://fedora.redhat.com
> > >
> [WINDOWS-1252?]> > Fedora’s irc channel is on irc.freenode.net with channels
> #fedora and
> > > #fedora-devel
> > >
> [WINDOWS-1252?]> > Fedora’s mailing list is on [log in to unmask]
> > > ***
> > >
> > > while the Fedora graphics screens are shown during the install.
> > >
> > > Why not include similar information to this, but related to SL, during it's
> > > installs?
> > >
> > > Michael.
> >
> > Because it's already been released :)
>
> That's fine, maybe on a future release?

Some of this info is already in the "Release Note" button to the left in
the installer.  We will add more for the "next" release.

To make the changes you are requesting means that more patched have to be
made to the installer.  I am really trying to limit changes to the
installer.

> > But on a side note, Fedora also has to do that because all of their
> > web pages and documentation actually point to RedHat.  So they had
> > to put it somewhere.
> >
> > Troy
>
> Ignoring Fedora's requirements for now, you don't think since you're adding
> pics to the install procedure anyway (pics of cats etc), that maybe it's an
> idea to add something a bit more SL-related?

There is one picture of cats and they are actually kittens.  We sent out a
request for graphics and did not get much response.  So if you want other
"significant" pictures then send some in.

Most of the pictures actually have significance.  Info on this will be put
on http://www.scientificlinux.org in the future.  For example the
"flags" picture was included because it represents the "international"
nature of Scientific Linux.  The field of yellow flowers was taken on
my train ride from Edinburgh, Scotland to London following the HepIX
Spring 2004 meeting where the Scientific Linux collaboration was born.

The kitty picture was put in for the simple reason that kitties are cute.

> Michael.

-Connie Sieh