SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:50:01 -0500
Hi,
I'll answer the qestion inline

Martin Jürgens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sadly I was not able to use the bug tracker so I will use this list to
> address the issues / questions that I have in mind after using
> Scientific Linux for some time.
>
> The first thing I noticed is that there is something wrong with the
> sl-debuginfo repository. yum repolist says the following:
>
> sl-debuginfo         Scientific Linux 5 debuginfo rpm's       enabled :
> 72
>
> But having looked at
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5x/archive/debuginfo/
> there seem to be much more packages in that repo than 72. Is there something
> wrong with the repodata?

That is an oversight.  I'll fix the script and tomorrow when tomorrows
errata go out, it should be fixed.

> The second thing is that both gpgcheck and the
> usage of mirrors is deactivated by default in yum.repos.d. I'd be interested
> in knowing why that is, also because the gpgcheck can vastly improve
> security.

gpgcheck
I would love to turn that on.  The problem is that we still cannot sign
jdk.  Well, we've gotten it down to we cannot sign the x86_64 version.
So we're getting close, and as soon as we can, we will.

Using mirrors vs mirrorlist
Last time I checked, people still preferred having a static over using
the mirrorlist.  Majority of our users have a local mirror, and so
change that anyway.  As for the rest, we haven't asked for a year or
two.  Last time we asked, I believe the problem people had was not
knowing if the mirror they were getting was being updated fast enough.
And at that time, I think fastestmirror wasn't as good as it is nowdays.
But we could certainly ask again.

What do people think, should we switch to using the mirrorlist as the
default?  Or should we stick with how we currently have things?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group