SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
"Avetisyan, Aram" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avetisyan, Aram
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:13:23 -0400
Hello,

I followed the instructions for updating to SL 5.3 (from SL 5.1 + latest yum updates) on scientificlinux.org. It did not give any errors during the update, but I think something went very wrong because now I have a rather long list of problems such as:

1) During every boot, I get this message:

Bringing up interface wmaster0
Determining IP information for wmaster0... SIOCSIFFLAGS Operation not supported
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported

The machine is frozen for about 2 minutes while it thinks about these SIOCSIFFLAGS after which it resumes booting.

2) The option to connect to wireless networks through Network Manager is grayed out. I have an Intel 4965AGN wireless card which worked perfectly fine before I tried updating, but now it doesn't seem to see the networks anymore -- the settings include a list of all of the connections with correct names and passwords, but the system acts as if there is no network in range.

3) Going to certain websites with Firefox (e.g. Skype, where I went to redownload the program because there's no sound in the version I have installed anymore) causes a hard crash -- the system either reboots or freezes to the point where the only thing I can do is push the power button. There are no error messages.

Is there a way to do a clean installation of SL 5.3 other than just formatting the partition and starting from scratch? If I reformat, do I need both DVD images or just one (the readme speaks of one image, but there are two available for download)?

Thanks.

-- Aram