SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:26 +0100
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Troy Dawson wrote:

> The date is only used for the subject header so that users can sort

I don't have any way to "sort" on mm/dd/yy, without having to create
some custom sorting rules; but without the ISO-ish format would sort
correctly without any effort at all; so your argument would seem to
favour my proposal.

> This is not a hard thing to change. As you pointed out, it's just a
> change in what I set as date.

I'm not happy at the idea of everyone having to apply their own local
corrections to cure problems.  I'd rather see them addressed at
source, no matter how "easy" they might be to correct locally.

> For my vote, I do not feel that changing it to yyyy-mm-dd is going
> to solve the problem, because who's to know that it isn't
> yyyy-dd-mm.

Do you have any /serious/ reason for suggesting that, please?

> So I'm in favor of putting a month in there, somthing to the affect
> of
>   dd MMM YYYY

But that fails your own criterion of being able to be sorted in any
straightforward way.

all the best