SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:29:14 -0800
I understand that this is not an EPEL list.  However, Mate is an EPEL
port to EL7.   I have been attempting to use Gnome 3, both Classic as
well as Frippery; but I find that Gnome 3 lacks specific functionalities
that I prefer.  Evidently, Mate is a port/clone of Gnome 2 for
distributions using Gnome 3, including EL7.  I have installed Mate 1.8.1
as well as the applets, etc., from the EPEL list in the Add/Remove
Software GUI.

However, the window selector grid has a fixed 4 windows, and the right
click Preferences on the selector does not allow me to increase the
number of workspaces.  A search on the web reveals that this is
supposedly fixed in Mate 1.8 , but is not on my machine. Does anyone
have a solution?

Supposedly Oracle EL 7 uses Gnome 2.  Is it possible to use the Oracle
EL 7 rpms to install Gnome 2?

Yasha Karant