SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:36:49 +0100
On 14/08/2009, Eugene Shin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> After thoughts, I decided to manually download and install kmod-ath5k*rpm
> and kmod-mac80211*rpm. It seems that I made some progress in setting up
> network service in the end; the network adapter recognized the ath5k and
> wlan0 as a hardware and wireless adater respectively. But still I cannot
> activate the wireless adapter. Whenever I attempt to activate it, it says
> "ath5k device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization."
> Is this just a technical problem that I would be able to resolve soon, or
> did I make a fundamental mistake when I installed them?

Eugene,

As I do not use the package (I do not use any wireless connection), it
is rather difficult for me to comment. However, from what you have
written, it seems that you have correctly installed both packages
(kmod-ath5k & kmod-mac80211). I assume you appreciate that the correct
kmod, matching both your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) and your
kernel type must be installed?

There is one thing that would be nice to know -- the Vendor:Device ID
paring for your wireless card. (FAQ #4 at http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ
is appropriate.)

If ath5k is the appropriate driver for the card, then I feel that your
inability to connect is probably nothing more than a configuration
issue. And that is something with which I will not be able to advise
you . . .  Hopefully somebody else will be able to assist.

Alan.