SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Duane Gustavus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:33:35 -0500
Hi,

Perhaps this is a question for an LVM list, but I am already subscribed to
this one and having the problem on SL4.1, so maybe it will help someone
else here as well.

I have used lvm to build a volume group and logical volume, mounted it
and used it fine.  I upgraded the distro kernel from the contib area to
the kernel that supports XFS.  I successfully built an XFS file system
on the logical volume, and everything seems fine.

Yesterday I intended to add another logical volume to use the remainder
of the space in the volume group, and started seeing this error:

[root@tbyte ~]# vgdisplay
connect() failed on local socket: Connection refused
Locking type 2 initialisation failed.

The existing volume group is still OK:

[root@tb5 init.d]# vgdisplay --ignorelockingfailure
  connect() failed on local socket: Connection refused
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  5
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               1.46 TB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              47682
  Alloc PE / Size       16000 / 500.00 GB
  Free  PE / Size       31682 / 990.06 GB
  VG UUID               1Bn4YQ-LDpo-hjJI-S6xV-uzF2-FMIT-nhzQ6I

And the logical volume mounts fine on reboot.  I am new to LVM, so this may
well be a case of not starting up something (dm_mod is loaded however).

Thanks for any ideas!
Duane

Duane Gustavus
Academic Computing Services