SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:02:14 -0700
Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> [... snippetty ...]
>
> P.S.  The pesky animation is here:
> http://server-sky.com/slides/bridge2009jun16_1024/aposkew_pretty_D_orbit.html
> http://snurl.com/l3f7e
> Time the white row crossing the centerline, 5 turns and divide by 5.

Hello Keith,

Well, I've written this email because I figured you hadn't already spent
so much time with flash that you could conceivably switch technologies,
but going through your slides I can see now that you've spent a lot of
time and effort on flash. Here is a list of flash alternatives for
posterity, and others who might be interested:

=====
SVG - An interesting alternative, but people have to install a plugin on
IE - and it's not quite as fast as flash in my experience.
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

Moonlight - Open source Silverlight implementation? Kinda scary to do
anything in though, Microsoft has created silverlight.. Having said
that, silverlight is supposed to be a competitor to flash.
http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

jQuery - Javascript with a lot of really advanced animations - also has
the benefit of being included in _EVERY_ browser ever made. (Ok I'm
exaggerating here but ecmascript/JS is pretty common amongst browsers)
http://jquery.com/
(also see: http://docs.jquery.com/Effects)
jQuery would take a bit of work to make it reproduce 3D images like what
you've got but it can be done.
=====