SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 00:15:10 -0700
On 07/12/2013 05:38 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 01:05 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> The issue is that the application would not pass configure without
>> disabling these options.  I have tried the various pre-built RPMs for
>> vlc that have been mentioned, but all the ones that I have found have
>> dependencies that cause conflicts with other versions of the same
>> dependency (typically, some .so package).  Because the linux application
>> environment is not polymorphic with encapsulation, one cannot have both
>> versions of some such dependency installed.
>
> Hi Yasha,
>
>     It was a total pain in the butt the first few times
> through.  I had to do a lot of "rpm -e xxx" and waiting
> until yum would finally stop bitching.
>
>     I did get there eventually and haven't had a problem
> since.  Stick to it and you will get there too.
>
> -T

Hi Todd,

My understanding is that your procedure can result in system instability
because of the lack of polymorphism and encapsulation.  If one uses
repositories other than those from SL6 or from those repositories that
claim the use thereof will not introduce stock (SL6x) incompatibilities,
then getting an application that requires such incompatible RPMs may
cause problems.  The solution of erasing the conflicting RPM and
presumably loading a replacement RPM that is not part of the stock
compatible distribution can "break" other applications that are
dependent upon such RPMs.

Building from a SRPM probably will not solve the problem because the
source RPM presumably requires the same RPMs (or SRPMs) that either do
not exist for stock SL6x or conflict with stock SL6x RPMs.  Again -- are
there any SL6x compatible source packages or installable RPMs that
supply the functionalities that I had to disable in building the current
production vlc application from source?

Yasha Karant