SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:48:20 +0100
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Mark Nelson wrote:

> Niels Walet wrote:
> Hi
>
> I suspect that the yppasswd command gets the name of the yp master from the
> yp slave.  The name of the ypmaster is in the yp map that is transfered to
> the slave from the master.  If you do a /usr/lib/yp/makedbm -u
> /var/yp/<ypdomainname>/passwd.byname and search for YP_MASTER_NAME you will
> find the fully qualified name of your ypmaster.

while that is correct a simpler answer is that ypwhich will tell you the
'master' for each map.

   $ ypwhich -m| grep -i passwd
   passwd.byuid axon.damtp.cam.ac.uk
   passwd.byname axon.damtp.cam.ac.uk

the -m option tells it to report the YP_MASTER_NAME entry from each map.
If the master is not including its name in the maps then the yppasswd
client won't know who to contact.  Note also that this field is used by
slave servers to find the master to query for each map (they don't *have*
to be the same -- we used to run strange setups with some data served from
different masters -- please don't ask why).

Of course you can also use ypmatch, as in:

   $ ypmatch YP_MASTER_NAME passwd
   axon.damtp.cam.ac.uk

etc.

I wish I could forget this stuff...  Maybe next year...
--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/