SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 17:36:50 -0600
Sorry for the absence. Sunday/Mondays are my busy days. I did run into a
very confusing outcome (posted below) and I also responded to all the
questions in one email so that things didn't get too confusing in
separate emails.

Thanks for all the advice and help so far!

On 12/01/2013 10:36 AM, olli hauer wrote:
> Are this bare metal boxes or virtual systems?

Bare metal

On 12/01/2013 11:21 AM, John Lauro wrote:
> If the switches have spanning tree protocol (default for most
> enterprise grade switches), they probably disable the port for 30-60
> seconds to make sure there is no loop, and so loading the network
> driver may unlink the port long enough for the switch to disable the
> port again for 30-60 seconds.  To test for this issue, have you
> system working, run a constant ping, unplug the network, wait 5
> seconds, plug it in and see how long it takes to start working again.
>
> To avoid this problem, I configure most of my switch ports for
> spanning-tree portfast.  Alternatively, it might take upto a minute
> for dhcp to start working...

This test switch is a dumb TRENDNet switch. Nothing special about it at all.

On 12/01/2013 11:44 AM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> Have you tried adding dhclient to your package list in your kickstart
> file.
> The trick with a nobase install is you can often be surprised by some
> of the things that are missing from it.
> if you don't have /sbin/dhclient on the host than that is probably
> your problem.

I did check and dhclient is installed with the Base.

On 12/01/2013 03:39 PM, Bluejay Adametz wrote:
> Is there anything in the syslog to indicate why the initial/boot-time
> ifup isn't working? I don't recall any conversation on that...

I did look. I don't see anything unusual at all. Just the normal loading
of the tg3 driver and a status saying that the link is up. Nothing else
that I see.

On 12/01/2013 04:15 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> finally its an easy thing to check if /sbin/dhclient exists
> then its there if not its missing.

Yeah, it is there:
$ ls /sbin/dhclient*
dhclient dhclient-script
$ /sbin/dhclient --version
isc-dhclient-4.1.1-P1

> That said the Spanning Tree suggestion John Lauro made earlier wasn't
> a bad one and the it can be adjusted in the in
> /etc/dhcp/dhclient-${DEVICE}.conf but I doubt thats the case since the
> default timeout is 60 seconds.
> increase to 90 seconds on eth0 example
> "
> echo 'timeout 90;' >> /etc/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.conf
> "

I am afraid that didn't help. But it did make the splash screen take
longer to load. :-/

> finally you could see if it is actually a dependancy issue once and
> for all by doing a "yum groupinstall base" on one of the hosts. if it
> resolves the issue on that host then you know its a dependance if not
> then you know its a network or hardware issue.

Wow! Installing a 155 more packages. Sadly, that didn't help the
situation either.

On 12/02/2013 04:42 AM, Tom H wrote:> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM, >
AIUI you're getting 'chkconfig network --list (network 0:off 1:off
> 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off)', 'NETWORKING=yes' and 'ONBOOT="yes"'. That
> should ensure that your nic's brought up at boot.

This is correct. My chkconfig is the same as yours. I have
'NETWORKING=yes' in /etc/sysconfig/network. And I have 'ONBOOT="yes"' in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

> Does adding '--activate' to the 'network' line make a difference?
> Instinctively, it shouldn't because that only controls bringing up the
> network in anaconda...

Not that I have found. It didn't make any difference that I can tell anyway.

> Could it be that '%packages --nobase' isn't pulling in something
> that's needed? Since you can run 'ifup eth0' to bring up the network,
> all that's necessary must be installed.
>
> Have you tried 'service network restart'? Does that bring up your nic?

Well now. That is interesting. This is consistent even with a fresh
kickstart install.
$ service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:      [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:    [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present.  Check
cable?  [FAILED]
$ ifup eth0
Determining IP information for eth0... done.

Errr...what? *scratches head* What exactly is 'ifup eth0' doing that
'service network restart' isn't?

> Have you tried installing with '%packages' rather than with '%packages
> --nobase'?

I have.

> I skimmed through the two lists
> but couldn't spot anything that might help, sorry.

Thanks for looking. Thank you all for your help and input! I do
appreciate it!

> You shouldn't need to install NM in order to get networking to come up.

I would think so too, but so far the only thing that has gotten DHCP
working on boot has been installing NetworkManager. It is very strange.

Thanks again for the help!

~Stack~