SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:06:29 -0400
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Predrag Punosevac <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> I am also a bit
>>> concern about other applications and their availability for SL 6.1. This
>>> thing must run MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, SciPy, Numpy and be
>>> accessible not only via ssh but also via NoMachine NX. In particular NX
>>> is closed source for version 4.0 and above so I am not sure if the free
>>> version of server will even install let alone run on SL 6.1.
>>
>> Wow, you do have a suite of tools that might add up to some support
>> issues. Since our favorite upstream vendor's version 6 has been out
>> since October of 2010, I suspect that all of those packages are now
>> compatible with SL 6.0 or SL 6.1
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if some of the applications mentioned are not
> compatible with EL 6.  I have an EL-5 box running VMWare Workstation 7
> but cannot upgrade it to EL 6 because this VMWare product does not
> support RHEL-6.0 as host, does not support RHEL 6.1 as host/guest.
> This is rather surprising; nine months after the release of RHEL 6.0,
> it is still not supported. VMware WS is not free, and one would think
> a company like VMware should do a better job for paying customers.
>
>> I wouldn't sweat the binary NoMachine implementation. While I dislike
>> intensely closed source code, the freeware rebuilds of NX based tools,
>> such as neatx and freenx, are all abandonware, and NoMachine's
>> implementation is noticeably superios, especially for the Windows
>> clients. And hey, with Putty 0.61 out and supporting genuine GSSAPI,
>> I'm hoping that it can support genuine single-sign-on..
>
> nx/freenx is indeed nice. Unfortunately, the version for EL6 is still
> under testing. I have been running it just fine on EL6.0 as well as on
> 6.1. It just has to be finalized and published (from the CentOS extras
> repository). Anyone wishing to give it a try can download the testing
> version from:
>
> http://centos.toracat.org/misc/nx-freenx/6/
>
> The current version is:
>
> freenx-0.7.3-7.el6.ay
> nx-3.4.0-7.el6.ay

And the nx code is about to leave GPL licensing (according to the
company that owns it, www.nomachine.com), with the release of version
4. And FreeNX hasn't had a software update in over three years. It's
abandonware, like all the other freeware NX wrappers.

And by the way, I do believe I personally *wrote* the last updates
from CentOS for those tools: I certainly submitted my updates for RHEL
5.6 and RHEL 6.0 compatibility, and I haven't noticed anyone tackling
the project of porting the features of the commercial NX 4.x alpha
releases to any other new GPL releases. I do wish that NoMachine would
publish them under GPL, and wrote to them about it, in combination
with buying some licenses.