SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2012

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:58:57 -0600
I've been encountering a problem when trying to configure bonded network
interfaces using (static) dhcp. These experiences have all been on SL
5.5 through SL 5.8 machines...

Baically it seems to work as intended, but after some period of time, up
to a day, the machine will lose its default route and never re-acquire it.
You can get the route back by either restarting the network service, or
just killing off and rerunning the dhclient for the interface. But, to
be clear, dhclient IS still present and running, and successfully
renewing the lease, it's just the route that disappears...

To give an example, to see if my config looks sensible, my ifcfg-eth0
and ifcfg-eth1 files might look something like:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:24:81:FC:63:78
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
NM_CONTROLLED="no"

and ifcfg-bond0 might look like:

DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes
BONDING_OPTS="miimon=80 mode=4 xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4"

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Graham
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager - [log in to unmask] - (612) 624-5040
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota