SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 13:33:46 -0600
Hi Ken,

On 3/3/15 1:06 PM, Ken Teh wrote:
> I wonder if the loopback shutdown is a red herring.  The "files nis"
> switch around seems more like a clue.  Perhaps some outstanding RPC
> after the network shutdowns (ethx's are down before the loop, no?)

Correct - all other net interfaces go down first.

> I'd try playing around the shutting down these bits manually in various
> permutations leaving the system running to see if it hangs.
>
> I have SL6.x systems running NIS without problems but then I did not
> reverse the "files nis" in nsswitch.conf.

Actually, I think that is really the problem (but the "why" may just
have to wait until another day or just file it away in my big file
cabinet of unsolved linux weirdities).

I took a look at a sampling of some older SL5.x nodes that have been up
and running for years and see that they all have 'files nis' order, all
apparently without any problems or complications.

Thing is, I have in my "notes" on bringing up a new node, "Don't forget
to edit nsswitch.conf with 'nis files' order.  But the problem is I
just don't remember why I wrote that!  I'd like to think that my "notes"
are things I figured out once so I don't have to revisit the issue
every time.  Apparently I didn't figure it out well enough.

So, I guess I'll just return to the default order of 'files nis' and
forget the whole thing and get some sleep.  :-)

But it's still a weird bug, which bugs me......

Thanks!
- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | IT Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group