SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Martin Jürgens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Jürgens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:13:46 +0200
Hi Troy,thanks for your fast reply.

Regarding static mirror vs mirrorlist:

When I configured my system the SL mirror seemed slow to me, so using
mirrorlist could make things faster for some users which could be an
advantage. Coming to the fear of not getting the latest updates: It
should be possible to query the mirrors if they sync regulary (does
centos do that?). If not, they could be taken out of the mirror list.
But IMO the question is if it makes sense to create such an
infrastructure having considered the current amount of users is not that
huge (taken from the statistics at sl.org).

Ah and I have one last question to the gpgchecks. While it makes sense
to me having them disabled if it is not possible to sign a certain
package, why are they disabled for ATRPMs and DAG in the officiel
yum-conf RPMs? I have enabled them manually and I do not run into any
problems but have improved security :-)

Martin