SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:03:54 -0800
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:00:40AM -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Is there a reason why you are using SL 5.0 instead of SL 5.2?
> Graphics is one of the things that was updated.  You might get your newer
> kernel, but without the newer xorg stuff that goes with it, it might not be
> working correctly.
> If you want to try it via live, you can use our livecd to give it a try.
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/livecd/52/

I reloaded the EEE PC Box with a fresh install of SL5.2, and that
did the trick.  An upgrade didn't for some reason, but I haven't
installed user data yet, so a rebuild from scratch is easy.

The machine came up with the intel driver in the wrong resolution.
(unlike the live CD, which Just Worked).  After using the GUI
display configuration tool, a reboot seemed to be needed for
the X configuration to "take", but other than that the intel
driver works fine in 5.2 .  The EEE also needed a patched
ethernet driver with 5.0, while the driver in 5.2 worked fine.

I was attempting to keep everthing 5.0 , the same as all the other
machines.  But I guess I will install 5.2 on whatever new ones
turn up.

Next - VMWare!

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993