SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2021

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2021 08:46:03 +0000
Get at text console, pressing Control-Alt-F6 works on a test system I have here (other function keys may work). If you still can't login there may be more messages pointing at the cause. If you can login then it may be the disk or quota is full. It may also be that you added a command to you bash profile that doesn't exit (most common case we see is people doing 'exec other-shell') if so remove that and try the GUI login again, use Control-Alt-F1 to switch. The next major cause tends to be corrupt Gnome config or faulty extensions. The quick fix for that is to either delete or move your current Gnome config. This will be in ~/.gnome* ~/.gconf* ~/.local ~/.config and maybe elsewhere depending on the age of your distribution. These tend to get messed up if you try and use them on multiple machines either concurrently (via NFS) or with different Linux versions.