SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:56:31 -0500
Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
> Maybe someone has some suggestions for the following problem.
> I have an SL4.4 system with 2 SATA drives configured as a RAID 1.
> As of last Friday, the system will not boot. It doesn't even get as far as
> displaying the kernel screen. I am able to boot the system from the
> rescue CD. When I do so, the disk look normal. The RAID is up and
> running and I can see the filesystems.
>
> So, I suspected that the MBR somehow got corrupted, and decided to try
> grub-install to rewrite the MBR.
>
> This didn't work...the commands I used and errors I got are listed below:
>
> grub-install hd0
> I got the error:
> /dev/md0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
>
> grub-install /dev/sda   (note cat /proc/mdstat lists RAID partitions as
> /dev/sda1 etc)
> I got the error:
> /dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
>
> grub-install /dev/hda
> I got the error:
> /dev/hda: Not found or not a block device
>

> So, how do I repair the MBR on a raided system drive? What is the
> install device that I need?
>
> Of course, this may not be the problem at all. If anyone has ideas on
> what else I should try, please let me know.
>
> Eve

For the grub install, you usually use what is in the grub.conf file, the
like that starts with #boot=
   grep "boot=" /boot/grub/grub.conf
so for
   # grep "boot=" /boot/grub/grub.conf
   #boot=/dev/sda
I would then do a
   grub-install /dev/sda

Is the raided system drive a hardware raid or a software raid?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group