SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:31:32 +0100
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Michael David Joy wrote:

> You might try booting with with the noacpi optoin. or acpi=off.

Thanks!  That sounds a useful idea, bearing in mind that I have
to use acpi=off on these laptops in order to be able to boot Knoppix
successfully.  (It's an IBM R40e).

> I've noticed that the windows intel drivers and windows atheros
> drivers would do this from time to time on a few of the laptops I've
> worked on. I think it may be due to the fact that the ndiswrapper
> can't pass power management events to the wireless card properly.

As a point of information, although I've no idea if it's directly
relevant: if I issue "iwconfig eth1" then in the resulting report the
Power Management parameter is shown as "off".  ("eth1" in this case is
the Wireless card, as you guessed).

> Although running without ACPI on a laptop is far from optimal, you
> might give it a go.

I'll report anything useful that I find.  Thanks.

Folks: Apologies if I was the only one to be unaware of this Morse
Code joke.  I've learned one thing new today, anyway ;-) but as far as
I can see, the incident leaves nothing interesting in /var/log

Perhaps I need a "magic sysreq".  These are areas I haven't really
explored before.  Haven't done kernel hacking / interrupt handling
stuff since IBM VM/370 or so  ;-)