SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Robert Arkiletian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Arkiletian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:19:20 -0700
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:09:45AM +0100, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>>>

>>> 2) For those who haven't heard this, some links:
>>> http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95411
>>

>> RHEL/SL/SLC are not listed at all. No announcement anywhere on google
>> about adding or dropping support for any specific version of RHEL/SL.
>>
>>> http://www.muktware.com/5203/google-says-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-obsolete
>>

>> Information at above link is factually incorrect.
>> Updates of google-chrome for SL6 have not stopped.
>>
>> Latest update is google-chrome-stable-26.0.1410.43-189671.x86_64
>> with build date Thu Mar 21 12:41:44 2013.
>

> Ever since I installed that version, google-chrome warns me that
> it has stopped supporting this version of my operating system
> - I'm running Scientific Linux release 6.3 (Carbon).
>
> "yum --enablerepo=google-chrome list" does list
> google-chrome-beta.x86_64           26.0.1410.43-189671      google-chrome
> google-chrome-unstable.x86_64       27.0.1453.12-191631      google-chrome
> so there may be more releases to come, but it is worth noting that
> google-chrome-beta and google-chrome-stable are curently the same version.
> The unstables are still being updated nightly (but is that a script on
> auto-pilot?)
>
> Updates may be continuing but Google *is* telling me,
> in a very obvious way, that they have stopped....

I think chromium is upstream to google-chrome. There will be no more
support for SL/CentOS/RHEL 6 after version 26. That's why we are
getting the warning message. Debian 6 is also begging for more support
but I don't think they are going to get it as Debian 7 is close to
release. We are in a different boat.

The reason for the EOL is rumored to be the chromium devs want to use
C++11 features of newer gcc. The only hope I see is for chromium devs
to use a newer gcc provided here

http://red.ht/Uo9wej
http://people.centos.org/tru/devtools-1.1/

I have just filed a feature request for this issue. We will see if
anything comes of it. It's especially important as the old venerable
Opera (presto engine) is also going EOL. Opera is moving to
follow/fork chrome's engine. So if we lose chrome that means we really
only have 1 main browser support (Firefox ESR).

--
Robert Arkiletian