SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:06:02 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

> I'm debating.  Should I fix this, or use this as motivation for people to
> stop using firefox and thunderbird on SL3 and move to seamonkey.

You probably shouldn't. We're 5 days before the EOL date for SL3 we all
agreed upon during HEPiX fall 2005 at SLAC and that's been announced and
published ever since. And this bug is not preventing anyone from using
firefox  - securely, and without loss of functionality - on SL3. It's just
an inconvenience, albeit a major one.

> SL 309 does *not* have firefox or thunderbird.  At some point, people are
> going to have to transition off firefox and thunderbird to seamonkey is they
> are going to stay on SL 3.

And my reasons for bringing up the problem on the list were (a) hope
for someone telling me that setting some environment variable like
PANGO_NO_STHG=1 would work around the problem, and (b) that it makes it
evident why dropping firefox/thunderbird from SL3 legacy is the right
thing to do.

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand