SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Jon Brinkmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Brinkmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:38:10 +0000
All,

I think I've found a bug in crond.  The man page (SL 5.2) says:

   Daylight Saving Time and other time changes

       Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those
       caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled
       specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific
       time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one
       hour. Jobs that run more frequently are scheduled normally.

       If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the
       interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely,
       if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running
       jobs twice.

***    Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections
***    to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately.

However, today I found that when changing the system time from local
time (MST) to UTC on a computer running SL 5.2, crond continued to use
local time.  It required a "/etc/rc.d/init.d/crond restart" to make it
use UTC, the new system time.  FYI, I changed the system time by

"rm /etc/localtime ; ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime".

Jon