SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:34:44 -0600
Art,

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Art Wildman wrote:

> Troy Dawson wrote:
> > Hi Art,
> > Looks like you're new to the world of RHEL and Clones.
> Not really, been a RH admin since picasso and I'm fairly familiar with
> the clones. I'm very used to redhat removing packages & changing their
> admin tool names (printtool vs redhat-config-printer) I consider these
> RH Annoyances, and wonder what annoys others along these lines & how to
> improve the situation...

We tested Fedora Core 5 to make sure nothing really bad was going to
happen.  As far as which packages are included the contents of Fedora Core
do NOT indicate the contents of RHEL except that if it does not exist in
Fedora Core then I doubt it will exist in RHEL.

> > First thing to remember we (the Scientific Linux community) didn't
> > take anything out of RHEL, so if you want to ask why thing's were
> > taken out, ask RedHat, because we didn't do it, and some things we
> > just don't know.
> > Now you arn't actually asking that, it looks more like you are asking
> > why some things are put in, when other's weren't.  And where to get
> > other packages that weren't included.
>
> I know RH took them out not y'all. Wanted to know what this community
> does for workarounds when some legacy util no longer works. From my FC4
> box...

We have gotten a few of the "missing" rpms from other releases.  The
problem is that for each of these we have to keep up on security updates
and that is alot harder since these releases come from all over the place.

> > # which tree
> /usr/bin/tree
> # rpm -qf /usr/bin/tree
> tree-1.5.0-3
> # rpm -qiv tree
> Name        : tree                         Relocations: /usr
> Version     : 1.5.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
> Release     : 3                             Build Date: Wed 02 Mar 2005
> 10:03:32 AM EST
> Install Date: Fri 29 Jul 2005 07:12:47 AM EDT      Build Host:
> bugs.build.redhat.com
> Group       : Applications/File             Source RPM: tree-1.5.0-3.src.rpm
> Size        : 41340                            License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 20 May 2005 02:27:28 PM EDT, Key ID
> b44269d04f2a6fd2
> Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> URL         : http://mama.indstate.edu/users/ice/tree/
> Summary     : A utility which displays a tree view of the contents of
> directories.
> Description :
> The tree utility recursively displays the contents of directories in a
> tree-like format. Tree is basically a UNIX port of the DOS tree
> utility.
>
> Would 'tree' be a package SL would consider adding? If not, is there a
> recommended source for this package?

Sure.  I used to use it myself.  Security issues should be minor.

> [...]
> > Some, like midnight commander, had security holes you could drive
> > car's through.  I didn't want to have to worry about maintaining that,
> > and have the responsibility of someone's machine being hacked be on my
> > shoulders.
> >
> > Second:  Where to get packages that weren't included in S.L.?
> > https://www.scientificlinux.org/community/repo/
> > This list several repositories with packages that are compatible with
> > Scientific Linux 3.0.x, and/or Scientific Linux 4.x.
> > We actually have those mirrored at
> > ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/extra/
> > if we have a better connection for you.
> > Also, you could check CentOS, and see if they might have a package you
> > don't find with those.
> > Although we are not compatible with Fedora, many of the Fedora
> > packages can be recompiled to work with Scientific Linux if you really
> > need to. Just remember that Fedora Core 1 packages tend to compile ok
> > with Scientific Linux 3.0.x, and Fedora Core 3 packages tend to
> > compile ok with Scientific Linux 4.x.
> >
> Thanks very goo info! that what I was looking for FC1 for SL3.x and FC3
> for SL4.x. I'll also look at SL contribs and extra repos....
>
> > Please don't use up2date on Scientific Linux.  It is only included
> > because other packages require it.  Use yum instead.
> >
> > yum list tree
> > yum install tree
> >
> > man yum
>
> Yes knew that SL uses yum, originally I was working off a RHEL box & was
> going to post to a RHEL list... thought I'd try it on SL and tree was
> not available via yum either. I forgot to edit the RH up2date specific
> stuff before posting here.
>

> >> The RH Manuals errata pages list "Changes to packages", but don't
> >> always explain why packages we removed or are no longer supported.
> >> Links to other information on missing commands, utils and apps would
> >> be welcome.
> >>
> >> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/release-notes/as-x86/RELEASE-NOTES-U3-x86-en.html
> >>
> >> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/as-x86/RELEASE-NOTES-U3-x86-en.html
> >>

> > We cannot link to points inside www.redhat.com, it's a legal thing.
> > And it's not just redhat that we can't do that to.
>
> Understood. Just glad we can point to them on the mail-list ;)
> >
> >> The release notes to SL are very informative about which apps &
> >> packages are included
> >> https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/42/sl.release.note.42.i386
> >>

> > I do miss some features of ncftp, (ncftpget) but there are also
> > features in lftp that are very nice, such as scripting.
> > Again, I didn't take them out, redhat did.
> >
> > Troy
> Exactly ncftpget being removed broke quite a few scripts & was a useful
> tool. I was aware of some of the problems with mc security and have
> learned to live without it. If another terminal base file manager
> exists, I'd like to know about it. Thanks for the feedback. -Art

-Connie Sieh