SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:25:03 -0800
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:31:45AM -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> You might want to take a look at this CentOS wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
>>
>> In the section "Solution", look for (3) that offers the kmod package
>> for this driver.  A little more detail will be found in this CentOS
>> forum thread:
>>
>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17854&forum=39&post_id=64799#forumpost64799
>
> Thanks, Yagi-san!
>
> Indeed, I saw that first wiki page, and chose a streamlined version
> of solution (2) rather than solution (3), as (2) seemed more likely
> to tolerate kernel updates.  Besides, the RPMforge repo looks like
> it is where all the Cool Kids (Dag, Dries, etc.) are hanging out,
> and the setup is very easy at  https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using
>
> So thanks for reading that first page into the record.  I suggest
> everyone with RealTek ethernet driver issues read it, as it explains
> them pretty well.  (3) is a useful solution too, and the forum post
> you suggest covers a lot of the issues involved.

You are welcome.  Actually, thanks should go to Alan Bartlett who has
been providing kABI-tracking kmod packages for a number of drivers.
In my humble opinion, kmods are the best solution in many cases. Not
only they survive kernel updates, but also there is no need for
development software because, unlike dkms, no recompilation is
required upon kernel update.

Akemi / toracat