SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:52:34 -0600
Connie Sieh wrote on 3/2/2007 3:33 PM:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, P. Larry Nelson wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing this is not necessarily an SL 4.4 problem, but since
>> that's what I'm trying to install, I thought I'd try the question
>> here.
>>
>> When trying to install SL 4.4 on a box with either an embedded
>> RAID controller or an add-on card, and having two identical
>
> Most embedded raid controlers are not really raid controllers at all.
> They are just disk controllers with software that does raid.  This is
> known as fake raid.
>
>> hard disks, and having configured the RAID controller to use
>> RAID 0 (mirrored disks), the installation process still sees
>> two separate disks (sda & sdb).
>>
>> When the same setup is used to install Windows, Windows sees the
>> two disks presented as just one disk by the controller, and mirroring
>> takes place.
>>
>> Is there some special parameter one needs to pass to the linux
>> installation program in order for it to recognize that the two
>> physical disks are hardware RAID 0 and that it should only see
>> one disk designation from the controller?
>
> What raid controller do your have?  A lspci should show it.
>
> -Connie Sieh

The raid controller is an LSI Logic on an Intel Server System SR1500AL
(mother board is Intel Server Board S5000PAL).

This has also happened with a Promise TX2000 onboard raid controller.

In both cases, a Windows installation sees the mirrored raid set as a
single disk, whereas linux still sees two separate disks.

??

Thanks!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group