SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:38:50 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> "yum upgrade" does not work for SL 4.4 upgrade. I thought it was
>> supposed that a plain "yum upgrade" would suffice to upgrade from SL
>> 4.3 to SL 4.4. Isn't this the case, and should I follow the old
>> upgrade procedure?
>
> I believe you had asked before if "yum update" or "yum upgrade" would
> bring S.L. 40rolling to S.L. 4.4, and yes, that will work.
> But it will not bring S.L. 4.3 to S.L. 4.4.
>
> Now, there is an exception to that.  That is if you have yum-conf-4x
> installed.  Which is always pointing to 4x.  Then you should just be
> able to do a "yum update", or actually nothing at all, the nightly yum
> will update you.
> Except we haven't moved that link yet.  I was actually planning on
> waiting a week.  The only reason I was going to wait was because we
> thought people would want to wait a little bit.
> But then again, if you wanted to wait a little bit, you wouldn't have
> installed yum-conf-4x.
> I can move the link now if you want.  Anybody else have an opinion, move
> the link now or wait a week?
>
> Troy

OK, after several votes of 'move it now', it was pointed out to me that
all my documentation talks about 4x as being the latest release.  So
it's technically not released until I move that link.

The link is now moved.  If you have 'yum-conf-4x' installed, you should
now be able to do a

   yum clean all
   yum update

And it will update you to 4.4.

Thanks
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468