SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:47:27 +0200
On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 11:33 +0100, Orlando Richards wrote:
> Ahh - it's released under "Extended Update Support" only - otherwise it's got to be 2.6.9-89.0.3 for the fix.
>
> Please ignore my original question then!

Why? I think it's quite a good one. SL is actually providing this
"extended update support", so the z-stream kernel errata would be the
most suitable choice, except for 4.8 beta, IMHO.

It's my impression that with the much longer "full support" times,
and the much longer time between point releases, feature backports upon
minor releases have become significantly more aggressive, and updating
to the 4.n+1 kernel on SL4.n is much more likely to cause problems than
it used to be in the past.

There were quite a few problems when updates for 5.3 were pushed out to
5.2 and older releases, and I wouldn't expect it to work any better with
4.8. One example: the openib in the 4.8 kernel won't match the userland
packages on 4.7 and earlier. No clue yet whether or not this will cause
any actual problems, but it doesn't feel right.

Just my 2c,
	Stephan

  DESY - DV -
  Platanenallee 6