SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:54:07 -0600
Mikhail wrote:
>  Hello, all!
> I have some problem with installation Oracle9ir2 on SL4.1 .
> Some times before i installing Oracle10gr2, i dont have any problem with
> this. But installation Oracle9i seriosly harder for me.
> I do that:
> oracle~> /ora/9i/Disk1/runInstaller
> And then message:
> JRE was not found at /tmp/ORACLE... Please install jre from blackdown.org
> I install j2-sdk-1.4.1_08 from Scientific Linux CD, but problem exists
> and now. I think that jre is minor version of sdk, its'not?
> Can anybody help me?
> \WBR Mikhail
> --
> PS: sorry for my english and too stupid question, i only student, i know
> well Oracle-Development, but with Linux i'm only novice...

I'm not an Oracle person by any means, but I do understand the java
more, so maybe that will be good enough.

First thing to try, get our version of java working.
I am assuming that you actually installed j2sdk-1.4.2_08
You probrubly should update it, unless the auto-yum hasn't already.
   yum update j2sdk
You should then install java-1.4.2-sun-compat
   yum install java-1.4.2-sun-compat
What that does is put java in your path, so that you can easily use it.
  That is probrubly what Oracle want's.  So hopefully, you can then run
your oracle installer.

Second thing to try, if the first didn't work
Look on the disk that Oracle came with, usually when programs require
java, they come with it on the CD.  I'm not sure where it might be, but
that is where I would look.

Third thing to try.
Blackdown is a group (company?) that recompiles java for linux.  In the
olden day's, it used to be one of the 2 or 3 ways that you could get
java on linux.  But since Sun now packages java for linux, they arn't
used as much.  But you can go to their website http://www.blackdown.org/
and get their java.

Hope this helps.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468